Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Fall Quarter So Far

I haven't been updating this blog nearly as much as I used to. Probably because I keep a physical diary now.

I'm currently in the process of trying to shift a bunch of rehearsal commitments around so I can take a chorus position with the Riverside Lyric Opera because they're doing the West Coast premier of John Adams' 2006 opera, "A Flowering Tree." It'd be a commute, but I'd get paid... and it's also experience that I definitely want on my resume.

What else is new? I'm totally smitten over this awesome coworker I have. We kind of have a thing. It's totally the shit. I read a LOT--both for my classes and just for my own academic side projects. New pedagogy book I'm really into right now is called The Naked Voice. Really insightful stuff, yet easy to digest. Also in my book bag is a collection of Michel de Montaigne's essays. Eminently logical and very eloquent, but exceedingly dense. I did a 6-7 hour Montaigne-intensive at Panera on Saturday. I think my brain was a little mushy after that. Scratch that. I was totally braindead after that session.

Good thing was that Brandon came over and we kicked it. Went to work together this morning. Kicked it some more afterwards. Seventeen hours straight with that kid. Things are going well, I'd say.

On the flip side, I'm having a really hard time with Gernot. Things were really cool between us when he got back from Austria. We weren't nearly as close as we were over the summer, but we were still really friendly and even hung out a little bit on Friday morning when he came to San Diego a little while ago. That all changed when I told him I was seeing someone just a few days ago. He's been texting/calling me nonstop ever since--telling me how much he misses me, calling me "baby," and being kind of dickish in general. Less than awesome. Weird how things change like that.

No comments: