Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Pint-Sized Powerhouse

This weekend, I had the privilege of meeting Scout Bassett. She's 4'8", an amputee, and a member of the U.S. National Triathlon team. She's also hilarious and a lot of fun to hang out with.

Indran, Mike's friend from high school, met Scout at UCLA. They're close friends, so when Scout decided to do her first half marathon (13.1 miles) to benefit the Challenged Athletes Foundation on Coronado Island, Indran tagged along. When they stopped by to visit Mike, we met.

I love those girls. They are so adorable. Both are RAs at UCLA, but they had no issue drinking with us in I-House on Friday night. We went home early, but it was the funnest night we'd had in a while. AND none of us were hungover the next day. Hooray for hydration and rest!

Scout is such a positive person. She's hugely famous, having been featured in all sorts of running magazines, USA Today, and motivational speaking things, but you wouldn't know it from talking to her. She is about as nice as people get, and so outgoing, she just puts everyone around at ease.

Mike and I waited for her at the finish line of the half marathon this morning so we could all go get brunch together afterwards. She finished the whole damn thing in just under four hours... she even got stopped a few times by people asking for her autograph. I am so proud of her, and I am so glad that I got to meet her and Indran and hang out with them both.

Even though some of this weekend was very sad/frustrating for me in other aspects, I am glad to have made such inspiring and wonderful new friends :)

No comments: