Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Internship

So... I have just started interning at the San Diego Symphony in hopes of forging some connections, and potentially securing a post-undergrad job offer. For now, I'm unpaid.

Today, I stuffed programs with fliers. It kind of sucked. I also sort of get a cubicle. Sort of because, while it is my cubicle, a bunch of crap that doesn't fit in other people's cubicles gets stuffed under my desk.

The good part is that the people are really nice... and I'm willing to bet that they probably won't make me go on coffee runs. I don't know what else to say. It's weird to be at the bottom again.

Also, I don't know if any of you have been inside Copley Symphony Hall... it was originally a Fox theater for silent movies and vaudeville and stuff (built in the 1920's), but it is freaking HIDEOUS. It is kind of funny how grody looking that place is. Don't be fooled by the svelte and classy exterior. Once you're in the lobby you'll know what I mean. The hall itself is not so bad. It's got a kind of quaint charm to it. But the lobby is... well... it's special.

The only perk of my job is getting free tickets to nearly all of the events (EXCEPT for the Perlman recital in January) So if anyone feels like accompanying me to the symphony, y'all will experience first hand the UGLY that is the CSH lobby.

Something I am looking forward to: Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" is being performed in May. It's one of my favorite pieces of all time :)

No comments: