I usually have chicken and wild rice soup for lunch on Fridays (during the break in the middle of my new music performance class). However, I didn't today because I wasn't feeling hungry. So after my last rehearsal, I braved rainy 5:30 traffic to gas up and stop by my favorite supermaket: Henry's.
I picked up carrots, celery, chicken stock, and a whole rotisserie chicken for my soup... and other miscellaneous items. Such as grapes. And broccoli. And oranges. Delicious. I already had an onion and a box of wild rice in the pantry so I went home to cook some shit up.
Sweated some mirepoix with some salt and pepper, added the raw rice and a few cups of chicken stock. I let that cook up on the back burner for ~25 minutes while I started a roux with 3 Tbs each of butter and flour, cooked it lightly, and whisked in a cup or two ish of 2% milk. Little bit o' nutmeg went into that. Once it was thick, but not quite bechamel-y in consistency, I stirred it into the rice-mirepoix pot. Shredded up some rotisserie-d chicken breast. Stirred that in. Thinned the whole thing out with a little more chicken stock, added the seasoning from the box of rice. Let it heat through for a few minutes.
I had a cup of that stuff... and man it frickin sticks to ya. Soup on a rainy day. So worth the effort :)
Plus I get another two or three meals from the leftovers :) Double plus, I only used one of the breasts, so there's plenty o' meat happening in the fridge. Triple plus, I fucking love chicken and wild rice soup.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment