Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Smart Work

My mother used to say something to me that roughly translates to "Everything with focus." Whenever I'd absentmindedly speed through my scales on the piano or violin, she'd tell me that I might as well be watching TV. It used to piss me off, but I know now that she's totally right. There is little skill to be gained from going through the motions of something without a clear goal in mind.

When I do my scales now, it's with intense focus on how I'm breathing, the placement of my vowel, and my posture/support system. All of these things I keep in mind work toward the end goal of developing good habits that will enhance my performance capabilities and increase my vocal technique. That brings me to the Alexander Technique.

Long story short, Alexander Technique is a process of sorts which is designed to allow one better awareness of postural efficiency. By studying it, you learn to use your muscles more efficiently and thoroughly relax. It's pretty awesome. I'm really exciting to be studying it with my professor's wife.

So YEA. That's kind of what I've been up to. Focusing a lot on improving myself. Taking 15 minutes or so to meditate, practice aligning myself, and relax. And flossing twice a day. (That's my new thing.)

No comments: