Friday, December 12, 2008

My Lovable Labrador

WARNING: CHEESE AHEAD

My dog's name is Princess Leia. I know that animals supposedly don't have souls or whatever, but I don't really buy into that. Princess Leia is probably the friendliest and most loving being I have ever encountered. And I love her very very much.

I also have a lot to learn from her. She's sweet and kind to everyone she meets... even more so if her new friend happens to bring her food. But aside from that little quirk, she never judges. She'll keep you warm while you nap by curling up around your feet. She likes to spend time with her family, but will settle for chilling out with one of my dad's shoes when she knows we don't have time to play.

It's funny how I never noticed before that she is constantly making me happy. She always lets her loved ones know that she's happy to see them, and it's such a sweet gesture that has gone unnoticed for far too long. The clicking of her claws against hard wood floors as she trots over to greet me. The little nose that pokes through the blinds of the window by the entry as she hears my keys jingling at the door. The unmistakable thumping of her super strong tail on everything within a foot and a half of her butt whenever she sees or hears something that makes her happy. That's all a lot more than I can say for myself. I'm usually pretty proud of myself for managing to grunt a pre-caffeine "g'morning ," at my family in my bass voice, eyes open just wide enough to pour a cup of coffee.

I never paused to think how much the simple act of letting people know how happy you are to see them can make a difference in how they feel. But noticing my own face light up so many times these days, whenever I see my adorably happy Leia, has got me thinking that I would like to be that person who makes people smile. I'm no Little Miss Sunshine. I usually don't even show it even when I am happy. But I can be.

I've been a total sap at home. A massive Smiley McSmilerson. And I owe it to my dog. And maybe a little bit to all the beer and orange smileys I've been consuming...

That's my resolution for the new year. I know it's a little early, but it's a huge adjustment. And it can't hurt to start a little early. I'm going to be a happier person. Not for the sake of knowing I'm happier than people I don't particularly care for, but simply for the sake of being a positive force for a change. If my new outlook can even make one person's day a little brighter, it will have been worth it :)

No comments: