Eating out is a really expensive habit. And it's one that Mike has fallen into over the course of living off campus. Not that I can blame him. Left to his own devices, Mike would have to eat scrambled eggs and/or rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In reality he has been eating pho nearly every day... twice a day if he's hungover. Pho might be cheap and filling for "eating out," but six bucks every single day adds up. Especially if you drag your girlfriend out to eat with you and insist on paying.
I had an epiphany... perhaps after one too many bowls of pho. I can cook. I'm not bad at it. Solution: I'll cook and we'll eat in.
We plan a few meals ahead and shop for groceries together. It's cute I guess. And it's really sweet how he always marvels at the food one can make with a dollar's worth of produce. It's also entertaining how fond of me his male roommates have become lately.
Friday:
-steamed rice
-beef n' broccoli
Saturday:
-steamed rice
-sauteed string beans and chicken
-fried eggs with tomato (sounds gross, but it's traditional Taiwanese fare and miraculously delicious)
Sunday:
-mac n' cheese w/ broccoli
-garlic bread
Monday:
-beef stew w/ daikon, carrots, and tomato
-steamed rice
Next on the menu is probably Japanese style curry chicken. And we'll see after that... :)
I love my boyfriend. I used to be really lazy to cook every day. But it's not as bad as I thought it'd be now that someone else never fails to appreciate it. Plus it's nice to unwind. Taking time away from academia to prepare a healthy meal de-stresses me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment