(I did not mean for that to be a Street Fighter reference.)
So I know I had decided to be a vocal performance emphasis, but the fact of the matter is, there remained a degree of uncertainty up until about 11 am yesterday. That's when I was notified that I have been accepted as a voice student. Immense relief.
I guess that makes it official.
I made a new friend in the music department. Just thought I'd document it here. She's a vocalist as well, but she's a music literature emphasis. Transfer student from Orange County, born in Korea, moved here 12 years ago. I really like her. We suffer through Italian Madrigals together. And she just joined LJSC as well!
What's funny is that she got called back to Tritones auditions. How did I find this out? She was browsing the website before our Tuesday lecture and just happened to take a closer look at the picture on the website. I hadn't paid attention to what she was looking at on her computer, but I heard her gasp, and as I turned to her, she asked, "Is that you?!?!" Confused, I glanced toward the face her finger indicated, and was slightly taken aback to see myself beaming on the screen, fully decked out in ICCA gear, with an arm around Shana.
It just seems like so long ago. It's utterly foreign to me now. After a second or two of blank staring, I came to my senses and answered her, "yea. I was in that for my first two years." I dodged her questions about the remaining members of the group, and cited my reasons for leaving as "I didn't think I'd have the time this year." I love a cappella, and my personal feelings toward a particular group shouldn't affect the opinions of others... I didn't feel the need to vent all my frustration concerning Tritones. Their problems are not mine anymore, and I don't feel badly for letting it all go to shit. The thing is... they do a pretty good job of ruining themselves without any petty slandering on my part. I'd much prefer to watch them burn of their own accord. It just makes it that much more satisfying.
OK. So maybe I'm still harboring some less than cordial feelings. But the fact of the matter is, I've accepted that I'm not continuing in collegiate a cappella. I've found a way to return to my classical upbringing. I've been privileged enough to have received an offer to do a little dabble in a cappella next summer at choir camp. (Running a workshop for choir geek seniors in high school looking to join a cappella groups their freshman years) That will be enough for me.
And I'm happy now. If I hadn't been so frustrated, I would have never quit with just a month or so to go like I had. And if I hadn't quit... I would never have become so close to Katie, Jazz, Umi, Jess, and all my other international girlfriends. And I would never have met Mike.
So as much as I harbor anger with regards to my experience in the Tritones... my hat goes off to them with gratitude. My deepest thanks for driving me away from a lifelong dream and towards the love of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment