Thursday, March 31, 2011

My [Pro]Portions

You could say that I'm going through something of a "Classical" phase at the moment. A lot of my day-to-day life consists of me and proportions.

The one I'm most often conscious of is that of me and my voice. I have a fairly large voice when you consider how long I've been studying, but I don't feel that my voice is in good proportion to the rest of me. It's not like I'm some tiny singer who shocks people just by not being squeaky. I'm of pretty average size. What I'm working towards is to achieve the greatest sound:size ratio without sacrificing expressiveness and technique.

We're not talking "you're big, ergo your voice is big" or its inverse. We're talking "OMFG how does this ginormous/gorgeous sound come out of someone who doesn't weigh 300 lbs????" I know I have that capacity. It's just a matter of hard work. And not eating disproportionate amounts of food.

Ah! Spring... when a young woman's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love for her craft!

No comments: