Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Bestie Bum Sessions

So a new feature of this quarter has been the addition of lots of hanging out. Specifically with Jeff. Today we had lunch, as usual, and ended up talking over coffee. He had some really exciting news to share, and even though I'm not a party involved in the situation, I'm superexcited and happy for him :)

It got me thinking though. If there's one thing we have absolutely nothing in common over, it's relationships. I suck at them because I can't seem to stay emotionally invested in people with whom I am romantically involved (odd, right?) I guess another excuse could be that I just haven't found the right person (although that's not entirely true), but the fact of the matter is that I almost always manage to lose interest in those who make up the ever-growing list of people who have called themselves my significant other. And Jeff? Well... he's in a pretty solid place. A SUPER solid place. I can't even fathom the idea of him being with anyone but Ellie.

Even though I'm ecstatic on their behalves, it's such a strange concept to me. The only way I plan on changing my name within the next decade is to tack on "M.M., D.M.A." to the end of it. I didn't always think of myself that way though. Four years ago, I thought Ray and I would be married at the end of college... so... that would have been this year. I think my view has shifted because of my career choice... and because, even if we had followed through with the engagement, Tim Burton movies excepting, people generally don't marry the dead.

So many of the people I have great respect for are incredibly late bloomers in this department. Phil went through all of his undergrad and grad school biznass, lived with a gf in Austria for a while, moved back to the states and hung out in Berkeley, and did all sorts of crazy touring with his performance duo before finally settling down in San Diego with a wifey. And Janos? He didn't settle down until the nineties! When he was fifty-something.

I used to call myself a skeptic. Broke things off with guys left and right, never stuck around for more than a month or two, even before I knew I wanted to sing and pursue this cosmopolitan style of life. But you know what? I no longer think of myself as a skeptic. It makes me happy to see my friends in happy, meaningful, fulfilling relationships. With that said...

A VERY HAPPY FOUR YEARS TO MY FAVE PAIR OF GORGEOUS PEOPLE!!!!

1 comment:

Sarup said...

hehe thanks :) loveeee youuuu. and i know you'll find someone with time, it's good to be picky / focus on your life before you settle down with someone :)