Friday, October 24, 2008

My Almost-Weekend

Having a busy Friday is such a bitch. It's like... "Here's a pie. But you can't eat it unless you run four miles and jump through a flaming hoop first." The weekend is nearing, but I've got a mini-midterm to study for and take, as well as a good chunk of genetics problems to solve before I can really relax in weekend-mode. Bitchhhhh.

Fifth week is quickly approaching, and I'm getting at that part of the quarter when I start to really really miss being at home. So I remedied that this morning by cooking up a huge pot of Taiwanese porridge, which I served to my fellow apartmentmates (and one apartmentmate's plus one, who also happens to be Taiwanese) with some pickled cucumbers and bamboo roots, pork sung, and salty duck eggs, all MIT. 1: Because I don't trust anything made in China. 2: Because Taiwanese food should be made in Taiwan.

It did somewhat cure my homesickness to eat food that I used to eat every day. But to really get a full dose of home, I checked one of my favorite blogs in the world, My Mom Is A FOB. Really. It's magic. It's total déjà vu reading some of the stuff other Asian moms write. I could swear that I have loving-lecture e-mails from my own momma that are nearly word-for-word on that site.

What I'm resolutely traipsing around is the fact that I skipped class this morning. I'm still sort of sick, and I was seriously craving some comfort food. What's more than that, I feel like my organic chemistry lectures are completely useless, and I've thus stopped attending. It's justifiable. My absences in that class are not due primarily to sheer laziness, but rather to the fact that attendance does not affect my performance, and that the whole shenanigan is a huge waste of time which could be otherwise dedicated to actually learning something.

Good reasoning, truth?

I am going to discuss one last thing before I continue with my day. Right now, I'm about a third of my way through midterms, and I'm looking good so far.

CHEM140A (organic chemistry): Total ownage. On my part. I did very well for myself in that class.

BICD100 (genetics): I got 200/200... but there was someone who ended up with a 214/200. I should be satisfied with my performance anyway. I wasn't feeling too awesome that day. Plus the class average was about 64%.

MUS15 (popular music): Full credit on my first midterm paper. Can't ask for more than that, can I?


I'm doing well so far. But the temptation to start slacking is ever-increasing, and I feel like I deserve a break. Too bad... I've got another midterm on Tuesday and a paper due on Wednesday. Can't stop now! Gotta keep truckin'!

No comments: