Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Musical Mayhem

First and foremost, I apologize for all emo-ness. I'm not going through one of my better phases.

I skipped Genetics lecture for the first time today. Yes, I lost participation points. And yes, I probably missed some important material. But at least it's podcasted.

I stayed up for a long time trying to remember a bunch of terminology for the BILD3 midterm I had this morning. I hate lower division classes for precisely that reason. I don't want to have to define "synapomorphy" or any other stupid shit like that. Isn't it enough that I can perfectly understand the material and use the word in context?

Regardless, I believe I made a moderate killing. I didn't study enough to really guarantee myself a spot at the top of the curve. But I do think I did myself a solid 95. At least. Unless my definition of a "paraphyletic group" was not to my dear professor's liking. In which case she can just suckkk on that.

On to some issues not directly related to, but definitely correlating with my slumping academic performance. I'd kill for some stress relief right now. What a statement.

Today I held a casual lunch meeting with an ex-boyfriend. We broke up last November, and today was the first time we really talked since then. It went very well, actually. But even though the air between us has been cleared, that doesn't solve any of the problems that have really been eating me up.

I'm still distracted. I still desperately crave a cave made of blankets and pillows and maybe a puppy or two. And my mommy to reassure me through the breathing hole. And to pass me comfort food through there too.

As much as I hate to admit my mistakes, I was very mistaken when I believed that academia could satisfy me. Music is still very much the core of everything I do. It's half of my academic life too. The Tritones, past and present, and my 5 apartmentmates (one who IS a Tritone) are pretty much the extent of my social life.

1. The only thing I compulsively spend money on is music. I have an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the CDs I own.
2. The only thing I do in my spare time is music. I arrange music, sing, and play the guitar. Or I get drunk, sing, and play the guitar.
3. The only thing that has been keeping me sane is music. I listen when I'm happy, sad, angry, frustrated, and everything in-between.

I thought I'd share what I've been getting into lately: Monkey: Journey To The West
I've had a lot of acoustic soul in the mix too (JUSTIN NOZUKA) for the times when my life needs a little bit of sexiness incorporated, because it's not getting incorporated in any other aspect of my life. I'll tell you that much.

My overall well-being corresponds to how music and I are doing. Music is my life... and I've never been so sick of just being alive.

No comments: