Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Long Day

My face is a downer. How sad is that?

I shuffled around much of today after a night of very little sleep, too tired to fully open my eyes. Forget about smiling and acting chipper. That worked out for the most part. My coworkers are more than used to my tired face, which more or less resembles my concentration face, which is pretty much my neutral face with squintier eyes. Not to mention they're all very agreeable people who have all been in those half-dead-student shoes.

I did a lot at work today. The -80C freezers were getting beyond cluttered, and seeing as there is very little space left for samples, the time came for me to organize all the bits of organs scattered about. Inventory, the usual carbon tet injections, work was work as usual. It just dragged until approximately 6:30p.

Then I jetted my ass over to the middle of campus for a cappella rehearsal, which is actually becoming more of an obligation than anything else. It didn't help that some self-important person took it upon herself to make some pointedly cheery/smart alecky remarks aimed at the fact that I happened to be sitting in a corner and staring at sheet music. Granted she didn't know I'd been up since 3am, been at work since 7:30am, and hadn't had dinner yet, but I was hardly doing anything worth being singled out for. Last I checked, it was a good thing to sit quietly and review one's music while another voice part was being taught. Still, I politely mustered a smile and replied to her that I was merely concentrating and didn't realize my face was quite so ferocious when I was focusing.

Part of being a student is learning to deal with people, yes? Well I think I coped quite well today. But another part of me wanted very badly to roundhouse kick that bitch to her proper place... namely groveling at my feet.

I swear the only reason I put up with all this shit is because I manage to convince myself that all these people aren't worth my time. Call it cocky, call it whatever you want. I call it a coping mechanism.

No comments: