Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Recurring Ditching Disasters

I think that skipping work has become a sort of addiction for me. There's a degree of thrill-factor in this whole staying in bed until 1 pm deal. At least I'll have a valid excuse for skipping my 8 am lecture tomorrow. That being that I have to sign up for next quarter's classes smack dab in the middle of it and there's no internet reception in my underground lecture hall.

Next quarter's classes. Whew. After adjusting for classes that have been filled, my Winter quarter schedule now looks like it's going to be Calculus, Chemistry Lab, Organic Chemistry, and Bacteriology. Definitely an easier load than I had originally anticipated. Probably a good thing.

I've also decided not to take any classes before 11 pm. And I've decided that five minutes is the longest I'll walk for any of my classes. It works out.

To take my mind off of more depressing matters, dI watched a lot of Food Network today. Then I planned out my shopping list for Thanksgiving. This year, in addition to my own 4-person family, we're having 12 other relatives over to celebrate. That's a relatively small number. That's just four of my dad's 10 siblings and their families. Factor in the fact that my brother eats like three adults, and that's 18 people to cook for. My mom bought a bird, and has put it in the refrigerator to defrost. We've already planned a massive grocery shopping trip on my way home-home from Mineta Int'l. Next Wednesday night, it's going to be family time and Thanksgiving prep. Thanksgiving day is going to be infinite hours in the kitchen.

My dad's purchased a lot of apple cider (nonalcoholic for his partially-livered ass and the kids), Choya plum wine for the older folks, and good old Taiwanese TsingTao beer for the normal ones in the family. My brother's in high school. He's a ridiculously popular fellow. The inevitable has come to pass, and as hard as he tried to hide it from me, I know he drinks like a sailor. The boy takes after myself and my father before me.

Therefore, once everyone has slipped into food coma dreamland, dear David and I are going to, once again, engage in some long-awaited sibling rivalry. That's right. Me. Him. Garage. Table. Red cups. Ping pong balls. I miss my brother, and I eagerly await challenging his so-called mad skills in a BEER PONG THROWDOWN.

That's what Thanksgiving is all about, after all.

This post ended up being a lot more about me looking forward to a break from school than about school. I guess that means I really really need a break.

No comments: